It’s that time of the month… you know, when I could eat an entire bag of chocolate chips, after eating dinner I’m still hungry, and I get mad at Chippy for doing nothing wrong. Please tell me I’m not the only woman who experiences these wierd mood swings?! I didn’t think so ;).
So what does Julie do when she has an intense craving for sweets? Make cookies of course! But not just any cookies.
These cookies had to live up to some standards.
- satisfy my sweet tooth
- include cinnamon and butter
- be bite sized (or two bites if you’re a classy lady ;))
Seemed simple enough to me, and it was! These cookies squashed my sweet cravings in no time. They remind me of those cookies you could buy at the grocery store with the cool shapes in them like eggs for Easter or ghosts for Halloween. This cookie is like a cinnabun only in cookie form. It has butter with cinnamon and raw sugar swirled throughout the whole cookie. Mmm… thinking of it now, I wish I had made a cream cheese glaze to drizzle over these babies ;). There just as delicious without any glaze though!
These cookies can really stand out for themselves (much like my obnoxious sweet tooth). Oh, did I mention they’re vegan? Yup! I’ve been doing a lot of vegan baking lately. Everything needed to make vegan baked goods is just so easy. I always have ingredients on hand to make vegan goodies and whether or not that is a good thing I have yet to find out.
Cinnamon Sugar Swirl Cookies
Swirl-y, cinnamon-y, butter-y. Need I say more? (Yields 16 bite sized cookies)
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance + 2 tbsp
- 3/8 (half of 3/4 cup) cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (mine had a mixture of whole wheat & malted barley)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp raw (turbinado) sugar
- Preheat oven to 325*. Combine 1/2 cup Earth Balance, powdered sugar, salt, vanilla, and flour in a bowl and mix until combined and crumbly. This will take awhile but keep at it!
- Form dough into a ball and refrigerate for 5 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, melt butter in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and roll out about 1/4 inch thick. Brush on the melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Roll the dough into a log. This part gets frustrating because the dough crumbles a bit but keep smushing everything together.
- Cut cookies from the log and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 11 minutes.
This recipe is a spin off from my beloved shortbread cookies. They’re just like making cinnabun’s but in cookie form :D.
Gather up your ingredients…mmm, check out that ice cream scoop of butter. YUMM-O.
Mix together the powdered sugar, flour, butter, vanilla extract, and salt until it forms a crumbly dough.
Refrigerate the dough for 5 minutes and in the meanwhile, melt your butter in the microwave for 30 seconds.
Flour a nonstick surface and begin to roll out your dough. This is where you can take out all your raging PMS monster symptoms on the dough. Ohhhh yeaa.
Once your dough has been “tenderized” ;) by the rolling pin, brush on the melted butter.
Then sprinkle on the cinnamon and raw sugar. Cinnamon + sugar = best combo ever.
This is where self-control really sets in. It is so hard to resist this dough especially since there’s no eggs in it, so you can eat this dough just as is! Or bake it if you’re too tempted by having this sit in the fridge.
After rolling into a log, cut into cookies.
Place on a baking sheet…
…and bake at 325* for 11 minutes.
Who said cookies have to be circular!? Rectangular cookies need some lovin’ too! Imperfect cookies always taste the best.
After baking to perfection!
Check out that swirl action!
Come to mama :D.
These are tiny and so so cute! Perfect for when you only want a bite of a cookie.
Is it just me or does anyone else just bite a cookie and say to themselves “that’s it, I won’t come back for the rest!” but then later go back for the whole thing? I used to do that but now I don’t lie to myself and just eat the whole cookie :D.
There wasn’t a crumb left behind ;).
Sweet tooth = satisfied.