Can I just start off by saying I love all my readers? I really do. Every last one of you, thank you for reading.
I had a really nice Friday yesterday filled with a sweaty spin class, lots of yummy eats, and plenty of good
My day started off with a sweaty spin class. I was surprised I got in a good, sweaty workout because I wasn’t expecting to have such a great workout from the particular teacher. I broke up a killer sweat and it was just what I needed.. sometimes sweat is all the doctor ordered.
I came home and was ravenous so I made a two part lunch.
Velvety smoothie cake batter green smoothie. No day is complete without one. Trillz.
All together now:
Can you tell this lunch was good?
I followed my lunch up with some Yogi ginger tea + a drizzle of local, raw honey.
I love adding honey because it helps cut the strength of the ginger! And sugar + me = BFF.
I am loving the quotes on the teabags. I think half the reason I drink the tea is because I know if I open the tea package I’ll get to see my ‘quote of the day’.
Remember a while back how I wrote about ‘The Tanning Obsession’?
Well, since I’m so against artificial tanning (tanning booths) I decided to go ahead and try a spray tan yesterday.
It was my first time getting a spray tan. Actually, the old salon I used to go to is now offering spray tans so I thought what the heck, why not. The only thing I was weary about was turning orange. Like seriously, don’t tell me you don’t see those girls who are orange all over!!! LOL. Snooki, I’m lookin’ at you.
I just wanted to test it out since I was curious. I’ll try anything once (ok, maybe not anything, but most things ). I also want to get a bit of color before Memorial Day next weekend since we go down the shore.
No makeup, hollar!
I wore a bikini in to get the spray tan. You can opt to do it nude (or with as much clothing as you want) but I don’t really have an issue with tan lines, so I just wore a strapless bikini top and a bikini bottom.
First off, I was asked to wear a hair net + some weird stick on foot things (aka a sandal without the thongs to hold your feet in) + put lotion on my palms to prevent them from getting too much color (since places like your palms, elbows, knees, ankles are more sensitive to color and retain it more).
I put my hair up in the hair net (and felt like a lunch lady) and did the other things she asked of me.
Next, she sprayed me with a moisturizer all over my body. Followed by the color and then lastly finished with another coat of moisturizer. The spray itself is pretty cold and after the first coat of color she asks you if you want to go darker. Since I was happy with my color, I stopped at one coat, but if you want to get super dark you could do as much/little as you’d like.
The spray tan I got was also airbrush so the girl can get every line, space, and corner on you rather than standing in a booth and leaving it up to the machine. That’s what sold me on the whole spray tan idea, because there was an actual person doing it rather than some machine that just sprays you and doesn’t try and help you achieve the desired color you’re going for.
Anyways, after the 3 coats, I was done. All I had to do was wait for it to dry (3-4 min) and then I was good to go. I was asked to wear loose clothing as to not mess up the spray tan since it was still a little wet. I wore a beach cover up but it was still kind of tight so next time I would wear shorts + a light, flowy shirt.
Let me note:
- you have to exfoliate before the spray tan to get rid of excess skin cells
- you can’t wear moisturizer, perfume, or deodorant
- you can’t shower (or get any water on your body) for 4 hours after
- you can’t shave after
- you can’t use certain soaps such as Dove when showering for a few days or you’ll streak
- you have to take light showers aka don’t scrub a dub dub and just lightly rinse
Here’s the after pics:
These pictures don’t do any justice. I am SOOOO dark in real life!!!! Like night and day, people!
I came out looking like a bronzed beauty. I looked sun kissed which made me happy. However there were some drawbacks.
- the chemicals in the spray tan (no idea what’s in it but it kind of scares me to breath it in/be on my skin). I’m not sure if I’d rather deal with the chemicals or the UV rays but I think I’d go with chemicals.
- there’s so many rules to adhere to so your spray tan doesn’t streak. It’s not like UV rays that you just burn into your skin and don’t have to worry about streaking.
- you have to be particular with what you wear. It also didn’t help that it was raining outside when I got my spray tan done so I had to make sure NO rain drops touched the tan or I’d get little dots all over me.
- the spray tan only lasts about a week and it was pretty expensive
But there are some benefits as well..
- NO risk of getting skin cancer from artificial sunlight. If I can prevent cancer, I will do anything in my power to do so.
- instant color. No need to tan and tan and tan and damage your skin with fake UV rays.
- very quick. Only took about 7 mins maybe?
- doesn’t produce an orange color. It looks totally natural and has no orange color to it at all. I look very bronze but I’ll have to see over the days how it fades.
Would I do it again?
- maybe. It can get annoying with all the rules you need to do to upkeep the spray tan and make sure it doesn’t streak but it’s 10000x better than a tanning booth. I’ll have to see after a week and go from there.
Honestly, I’m in shock with how tan I am! Looking at myself in the mirror is like I’m looking at another person.
It’s weird though.. I kind of miss my pale skin. For some reason, I’m sort of turned off by the whole spray tanning thing although it’s much safer and I look great. My color is spot on and I am shining.
My mom says I look so so good and she wasn’t expecting me to get such color from the spray tan.
To be honest, I think I’m over the whole ‘I need to look tan’ thing. I am so much more comfortable in my own skin now and I finally realize that I’m happy the way I am.
It was nice to do though and would be perfect for anyone who is going on a vacation or to a special event to get some quick color.
I would give it 4 out of 5 stars.
I’ll update you on how my tan looks throughout the week! I actually skipped out on spin this AM in fear that all the sweat would make my spray tan streak (bummer). Oh well, I’m thinking I’ll get lots of walking in today so it will be a perfect rest day.
[NOTE: this morning I’m actually tanner!! And I have a few spots that have been messed up from me sweating (particularly my feet lol) so I’ll probably just have to scrub them a bit. My hands also have a few little dark areas but I’m glad my whole body isn’t streaked.]
I made a delicious dinner too!
I used this tempeh (as seen in my lunch) to make a spin off on a ‘BLT’.
Tempeh BAM Sandwich
Inspired by Mama Pea
- 3 strips organic tempeh ‘bacon’ (such as the brand above. I found this at Wegman’s but I’m sure other health food stores sell it)
- 2 slices your favorite bread or use a whole wheat wrap
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 tbsp organic mustard
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
Directions: Cook tempeh according to package. Meanwhile, toast your bread and then smear on the mustard and garlic. Add the cooked tempeh and layer on the avocado. Serve!
The BAM stands for ‘bacon’, avocado, and mustard. Hehehee.
MmMMmMM.. I am loving this sandwich lately. It takes only about 5 or so mins to make. I just quickly cook the tempeh in a nonstick skillet with a little spray on nonstick spray to help get the tempeh crispy. If you want, you could cook it in some oil to fry it up but I wanted to keep it light.
Served on some flax, oat, and seedy bread from Wegman’s. You could use a wrap or even serve this a top a salad.
You could even add some more toppings:
- red pepper flakes
I really really love this sandwich and if you’re a vegan (or even a carnivore!!) you’d love this too! It’s a great option for when you don’t want to use real bacon. It tastes just as smoky and good as it’s real counterpart but is way healthier, animal friendly, and easier.
I’ve never had a true BLT in my whole life, but I bet this could compete with it one on one and win.
A bunch of us are going to the beach today for a little get together. Yippiiieee!
I’ll see you all tomorrow!