Regardless of wether or not you actually like Valentine’s Day, it does serve one good purpose: cutesy, girly baking can occur without anyone questioning your obnoxious designs. Which is why I decided to channel my inner Martha Stewart and veganize her version of shortbread cookies.
These will surely steal your heart and sweep you off your feet faster than any man ever could.
These cookies will not break your heart, dump you via text message, or stand you up on your first date.
No, no, these cookies will capture your heart, make fireworks go off in your head, and definitely ask you out again (or at least force you to bake them again ;)).
Steal My Heart Vegan Shortbread Cookies
Adapted from Martha Stewart (Makes 10-12 cookies)
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance butter at room temperature
- 3/8 (half of 3/4 cup) cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (mine had a combination of organic whole wheat & organic malted barley flour and it worked fine)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- toppings: melted chocolate, shredded coconut, sweet heart candies, dried cranberries/cherries, etc
- Pre heat oven to 325*. Combine butter, flour, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a bowl and mix with a spoon until combined. It will look crumbly but that’s what you want. Don’t cream the mixture!
- Place mixture on a floured non-stick surface and form a ball. Roll the ball out with a pin (I just used a mini rolling-pin) and cut out desired shapes (I used hearts). Keep forming a ball and rolling out the dough until all of it is used up.
- Place cut out cookies on a non stick baking sheet (I sprayed a little non stick spray on mine) and bake for 18-20 minutes depending on how hard/soft you want them. 20 minutes yields a harder cookie while 18 minutes will yield a less firmer cookie.
- Take out of the oven and place on a cooling rack (or tin foil) and decorate! I melted Baker’s chocolate in the microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds stirring every 30 seconds and then placed in a zip lock baggie and cut the tip off to pipe onto the cookies. The chocolate also acts as the glue if you want to adhere any candies/coconut.
These cookies will take the place of cupid. Give one of these to your desired studly man and they’ll buy you 3 dozen roses and a 5 carat diamond ring.
These ingredients will cast a love spell on your date. Or your dog who wont stop begging to get the butta.
After mixing this you’ll have guns to show off to your man, too! It wont look remotely close to this in the first minute of mixing but keep at it until it does.
Form into a ball…
Roll out and cut into shapes. This recipe can be tailored to all different holidays! Easter would be fun to make egg shapes and pipe on pastel colors!
What about now? ;)
I love the chocolate coconut rimmed ones! Mmmmm…
Hi, my name is Julie. I’m 19 years young and I still play with my food.
I even cut out little x’s and o’s from the dough to put on the cookies!
As you can see, it was “arts and crafts” day in my kitchen today. Don’t you just love the endless decorating possibilities with baking?!
I better go check on Chippy… I hope he didn’t steal any cookies.